Proper stoneground grits require a little bit of patience. They are prone to sticking so be sure to check on them regularly. Stirring also helps release starch you will be rewarded with a nice creamy texture.
- Bring water to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan. Season with salt to taste.
- Slowly pour grits into water in a steady stream while whisking constantly
- Bring back to a simmer and cook for 5 mins stirring periodically. Turn heat off, keep covered and let stand to “bloom” 30 mins.
- Give the grits a good stir, return heat to low and gently simmer (2 hours) stir periodically and add additional water if necessary.
- Finish the grits with butter/cheese season with salt to taste.
2 tbsp butter
100g cheese (optional)